Saturday, December 25, 2010

Delaney's First Christmas

I have never been one to start celebrating the Christmas holiday "early". I cannot stand seeing all of the Christmas stuff before we even have Thanksgiving. It's basically like celebrating "Thanksmas" if you ask me since there is so much emphasis on Christmas so many months before its arrival. I am not a "scrooge" by any means, I just like to do things in order (well, apparently things other than my blog posts ha ha ha----but I found a nifty little feature on blogger that allows me to plug this post in as if it weren't January 9, 2011). "What goes up must come down".....right??? But does it HAVE to come down the day AFTER Christmas? Well, when you get a real tree the answer is YES!!! I could not wait to get this tree down. I am STILL finding needles everywhere!!! I thought I would start our posts with how we decorated. This was the first year I've ever used a tree bag and I'm not exactly sure why or where these bags from heaven have been hiding.....I LOVE THEM! Last year following Christmas I literally stalked the DaySpring website waiting for these beauties to go on sale. I think I got them delivered before New Year's and I could not wait to open them up and use them this Christmas. A few battery operated tea lights and we were set!

When you don't have a fireplace you naturally don't have a fireplace mantel, wait, actually, I do......hhhhmmmm I need to dig that out sometime, anyway, so you have to get creative where you hang your stockings. I used to hang them on the sofa table but I used to also not have a 9 month old! I am loving our new personalized stockings. Is it just me or did stockings get "longer" so Santa has to fill them with more stuff????? I have read a lot of people's traditions on stockings lately. Some people do them on Christmas Eve but growing up, we always did our stockings BEFORE opening presents so that's something I'm going to stick with. If you look closely at the tree, you'll see two small pears that sit in the pot. These are always there....who knew we already had a pear tree!
I am a "fan" of putting ornaments in anything that can hold them, bowls, candlesticks, tall vases, etc....................I use this vase for each season and fill it with "something". And if this was "truthful Thursday" then I wouldn't have still had pumpkins in it in December before I put the bulbs in....

And then finally, there was the tree...the one that was suppose to be "tall and skinny" perhaps I'm trying to live vicariously through my Christmas tree???? But when you wait until a week before Christmas to get your tree, you can't exactly tell the guy who's willing to trim off some branches so you can put them in a vase and tie a bow around it for your centerpiece the kind of tree YOU want! And, it's also not a good idea to wait until 10:00 p.m. to decorate your tree and decide you need more lights (as a direct result of buying a tree much bigger than you've ever had or wanted to buy) and decide you have to finish the project and drive to CVS to buy more lights! It was sort of a two for one trip though because while I was there I did a little Christmas shopping---who knew you could do that at CVS!! Oh and don't worry, I didn't wake up Delaney to go with me, oh, and I didn't leave her alone either!! My friend Angie was here and stayed with her. Oh and how sweet it is to have a friend who is an interior designer and helps you with your tree......did everyone notice this year how traditional tree toppers were "out" and the stores used feathers at the top? So of course we wanted our tree to be "in" and "trendy"...can a Christmas tree be "trendy"??? I think so too. I must have cropped this picture too much (yes, I TRY and crop all pictures before posting) too much so you can't get the full effect of the "stylish" tree topper! Hopefully it will still be stylish next year and we can use the feathers again........






No comments:

Post a Comment