Thursday, February 12, 2015

Kindergarten "Semi-Finals"

I know, the title is a stretch, but that's what it seems like.  I know you're tired of reading about kindergarten but I really think I should document this event in our lives for when I want to look back and be reminded what a crazy person I was!

Today was kindergarten open house at "choice A". Actually, I should refer to it as choice "D" since it was Dave's choice.  I didn't plan on Delaney falling asleep when we got home from gymnastics so I decided she was getting sick because who can sleep during basement remodeling and the vacuum running????  I didn't want to miss the open house but I also didn't want to go against my tried and true rule of "never waking a sleeping baby" which I have obviously carried through to the toddler years (and yes, I still consider her a toddler but that's a whole other blog post).  I decided I would do what any good mom would do and let her sleep and when she woke up, skip feeding her lunch because my land who wants to be the mom of the kid who throws up at school before they even go there!  When she woke up, I gave her medicine for what appeared to be a fever (like I said, I REALLY didn't want to miss the open house).  A teaspoon and a half later, she was in her modest attire of a turtle neck and skirt (I opted for another cardigan and added pearls this time) like I said, we're in the Semi-Finals!

When we got to school, I immediately noticed we were able to walk in without being buzzed in, also known as strike one! But then I was told that is just to get to the offices and not in the school.  I was "told" because I of course asked!  Delaney's safety ranks right up there with education! (you have realized by now you are reading the blog of a crazy person right????)  The receptionist told us there is another incoming kindergartener named Delaney! Then she went on to tell me she has never heard of that name before "but she liked it".....ya, so did her dad!!

We were directed to the kindergarten hallway to observe the two classrooms. By the way, Delaney refused to hold my hand in the hallway. I noticed one of the students was wearing the school uniform of a red polo shirt and navy pants.  I told Delaney that is what she would be wearing and she informed me she wanted to wear pink shirts instead! So when the teacher asked if we had any questions, well, it was obvious,"just one"....................................

Delaney preferred one class room over the other which was strictly based on the increased amount of toys!  I preferred one teacher over the other which was strictly based on first impressions......

After observing the class room with more toys, I asked Delaney if she was ready to leave and she said "yes, I am ready to suck my thumb again".  When I asked her if she wanted to go to that school she told me "no, I don't want to eat in a cafeteria" and cried all the way to the car.  I told her all schools have cafeterias and lunch time is fun and that you get to visit with your friends and she said "what if the kids don't like me".  Then I informed her that I don't know anyone who wouldn't like her.

When we got home I said "I'm sorry you cried over the school but that is where your daddy wanted you to go, would you go there for daddy? (Yes, people, I went there!) and she said "no, I wouldn't". And then she said "ok, I guess I will".  Then she was fine and we started watching Nashville when Delaney informed me NASHVILLE AND DATELINE are her favorite shows! But Dateline is her "first favorite"!!! Clearly, my child is ready for kindergarten!

So here are my observations from the open house...............

My daughter is going to have to start wearing red (that color just doesn't exist in our wardrobes)

Each class has 20 kids (yes, I counted) 

The rooms have ceiling fans (she will love that feature since she is always hot!)

If you are super nice to the receptionist you can "probe her" to find out if your child is likely going to "get in".  She thinks she will! Which will not only benefit me and Delaney, but then you can stop reading posts by a crazy lady trying to get her daughter in kindergarten! 

And in non-kindergarten related news, my southwest cardigan came today! And, shockingly (insert sarcasm) I was already wearing my yoga pants (because like Delaney, I came home and got out of my dress clothes--I'm pretty sure our UPS driver would not recognize me if I were in anything but yoga pants). The cardigan fits, goes great with yoga pants AND arrived before Valentines Day!


I'm not sure why when I take our picture and Delaney tells me to make a kissy face I am the only one who does....................

And here's a picture from gymnastics.  The "other moms" made goodie bags for the girls for Valentines Day....key word "other" moms............

No comments:

Post a Comment