Thursday, August 11, 2011

"The Help"

Ok so here it is....my "review" (I won't spoil it). It took me more time than I care to admit to finish the book but as I said previously, I did manage to finish it before the movie came out (albeit two days!). So, yesterday morning, I went to see it with Julie "a/k/a" the expert! We met for breakfast, caught up on lots of important "stuff" (which means nothing important at all) and kept saying how glad we were the kids are back in school (her's not mine!) so we can start enjoying the summer! ha ha ha..... As we were sitting at breakfast, I looked over to a table of elderly women all dressed up, make-up on perfectly, hair done just right (nothing how we looked!) and saw they were celebrating one of the ladies' birthdays by showering her with gifts. It was really sweet to see all of these women celebrating just like they were young girls again! So we got to the movie (10:30) and THE DOORS WERE LOCKED! Hello----I didn't set my alarm for THIS to happen! They opened the doors and told us "there was a mistake and the 10:30 movie doesn't start until 11:00"....HELLO Mr. Movie Ticket Person I have a babysitter on the clock for the first time EVER what do you mean we have to wait another 1/2 hour!".......Oh well, insert more time for us to "catch up on important, I mean "non important" stuff!!! So if you don't know what The Help is about, it's about black maids in Jackson, MS working for white families in the early 60's. The maids did everything for these families (including raising the white babies) and as I watched the movie I thought "there's no one else I would rather have taking care of this sweet little thing...."well, other than "The Help" i.e. Delaney's cousin, Cerelle, who watched her for me!!! Cerelle showed up to a one page typed list of instructions!! Never mind she is a lifeguard (obviously certified in CPR--one of Delaney's daddy's requirements for watching her), oh and a straight A nursing student at I.U.!!!! They swam and went for a walk and yes, I even included instructions for taking Delaney on a walk! Oh, and if you want to know more about the movie, then you'll just have to go see it!! It was EXCELLENT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment